Thursday, April 26, 2018

Hope for Groundlings, and the Planet

 
"According to the ancient story, humanity is literally a 'groundling' or earthling"
 
The Seven Pillars of Creation William Brown
 
Many of you will be aware that I have a passion for the wellbeing of the planet, rooted and grounded in my Christian faith. I often write about Creation-honouring themes in my Lion Lamb blog and then several years ago created this Groundling blog. I borrowed the term Groundling from William Brown's fascinating exploration of seven key creation passages from the Hebrew scriptures.
 
The pressures of time made it difficult to keep up two blogs, especially while I was still in pastoral ministry. The other challenge was bad news. As Christians we are Good News people but so much of what we hear about the environment is crushingly bad news. Climate change is truly an all-encompassing threat to the planet. We are plasticizing out waterways and oceans. And it is downright depressing that report after report tells us that species are in free-fall.
 
Gleaning the good news which is Good News is a challenge, but it's out there. I encourage you to read this article which the CBC created for Earth Month.
 
It has the title 13 Canadian environmentalists and innovators changing Earth for the better. Thirteen is usually an unlucky number in Western culture but not here  http://www.cbc.ca/life/wellness/13-canadian-environmentalists-and-innovators-changing-earth-for-the-better-1.4625341
 
We have so much to do, and so little time. Still, I thank God for those who are determined to make our world better. At times I would quip that I was "in the hope business" when asked my profession. As Christians we are in the hope business, and these activists and entrepeneurs can give us a welcome dose of hope.
 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment