Friday, June 7, 2013

Aquaviva



Pierre Carreau

There is the sea, vast and spacious, teeming with creatures beyond number-- living things both large and small. Psalm 104:25

Please Google the remarkable photographs of Pierre Carreau. He manages to magically capture images of waves as though they are frozen.  They are part of a series called Aquaviva, which should not be confused with Aquavelva. Aquavelva is what you drink...kidding.

Aquaviva means Water of Life in my  translation, and any of you who have spent time near an ocean or other large body of water know about the lively energy of waves. When we lived in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland we would try to get to a beach in the day or two after a big storm in order to enjoy the often spectacular waves. The energy of the storm in deeper water would make its way to shore with impressive effect. There were rocks we climbed at Crystal Crescent Beach outside Halifax which allowed us to be safe but surrounded by all that power.

There was something about our insignificance which was humbling and exhilarating. We are both a little regretful that this year will be the first in sixteen or seventeen we haven't travelled to salt water somewhere. It was a personal first in 2012 to visit the Atlantic, Pacific and Caribbean in the same calendar year, so I shouldn't be too disappointed.

I do feel the wild, untamed power of the Creator when I am alongside those big bodies of water, although I prefer to be on the shore. It's easy to become addicted to the thrill. I do think surfers are crazy, but I have an inkling of why they do what they do.  I'll settle for some strolls along Lake Ontario this year.

Any wave freaks out there? Do you have similar feelings about the ocean? What is your response to the Carreau photo? Do you feel the presence of God when the waves crash in, or is it the fear of God?

1 comment:

  1. A pleasant "voice from my past" email brought areflection on this blog posting:

    Hi, David. Just stumbled onto your blog through a facebook posting of the UCC. I hope you are doing well. Yes, the power of water is awe-inspiring, and even a bit frightening at times. Ever since my first visit to the ocean, while a student at UTS, I always knew I wanted to live near water, and here we are back in Thunder Bay, within walking distance of "the greatest lake." We feel its influence every day, and, yes, it's one of the things that makes me most aware of the powerful presence and activity of our creator God.

    ReplyDelete