Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Father, Sun, and the Holy Spirit



At St. Paul's we are pleased that our 40 solar panels are installed and we are waiting to be hooked into the grid. Until that the electricity these produce is "all dressed up with no place to go.

As I was doing some paper shuffling today I came across an article in The Atlantic magazine with the title The Father, the Sun, and the Holy Spirit by Stephan Faris. It could have been called The Father, the Sun, and the Green Pope.  I know I snipped this article for a reason, but I had totally forgotten about it. It describes the completed installation of 2,400 solar panels on a building at the Vatican, instigated by Pope Benedict. Twenty four hundred panels! These will prevent 230 tons of carbon dioxide from reaching the atmosphere. Our effort at St. P's represents one sixtieth of this installation.



I am no fan of Benedict XVI, but I must say that I admire this initiative. In fact, Benedict has been dubbed the Green Pope for his commitment. He has frequently expressed concerns about global climate change, and he speaks of a "covenant between human beings and the environment." The Roman Catholic church has joined with environmental movements in Latin America and the Philippines to save rain forests, protect species, and actively support indigenous peoples who are most effected by their destruction.

Okay, maybe I can warm up to the pontiff just a tad. Now if he would only recognize that Protestants are "real" Christians.

Did you know about the green inclinations of Pope Benedict? Are you impressed?

No comments:

Post a Comment